Bike Accident Attorneys in Fairfax, Manassas, Centerville and Front Royal, VA
Experienced firm seeks justice for cyclists struck by motor vehicles
There are numerous reasons why northern Virginia residents enjoy bicycle riding. Some people are looking for exercise while others ride to enjoy the area’s natural beauty. While some commute on their bicycle and others ride for pleasure, there is potential danger on the roads. Over the past couple of years, Virginia bicycle accidents have increased sharply, possibly due to the increased popularity of bike riding prompted by the COVID-19 pandemic. In a collision with a motor vehicle, there is a high likelihood that a cyclist will suffer a serious or even catastrophic injury. That’s where the experienced attorneys at Pikrallidas & Probasco come in. From our offices in Fairfax, Manassas, Centreville and Front Royal, we fight on behalf of bicycle accident victims and work to hold careless drivers accountable.
Factors commonly seen in serious bicycle accidents
Cars and trucks crash into bicycles for all sorts of reasons, but some of the most common factors in bicycle accidents include:
- Distracted drivers — Many motorists believe that they can check out their cell phone or indulge in another distraction because they’ll still be able to see and hear if a car is coming. However, bicycles are practically silent and much more difficult to see.
- Cars turning left — A car making a left turn typically moves across a lane of oncoming traffic and is supposed to yield to oncoming vehicles. Unfortunately, drivers might check quickly to see if a car is coming and proceed before recognizing that a cyclist is coming and has the right of way. For this reason, left-turn accidents are very common.
- Road hazards — Potholes, broken glass and other road hazards are much more dangerous for bikes than motor vehicles. An obstruction could throw a cyclist to the ground or force them to veer toward traffic.
- Opening car doors — Careless drivers and driver-side passengers who fully extend their door toward traffic could create an unavoidable barrier for a cyclist.
- Erratic vehicle operation — Even drifting slightly out of one’s lane increases the likelihood that a car or truck will sideswipe a bicycle. This type of problem is frequently associated with motorists impaired by alcohol or drugs.
No matter what specifically led to the collision, you can rely on our personal injury attorneys to take on the liable driver and their insurance company so you can pursue the legal result you deserve following your bicycle accident.
Lawyers represent bicycle riders with all types of crash-related injuries
Various types of catastrophic injuries could result from a serous bicycle accident. Regardless of whether you’re wearing a helmet or not, you could suffer a traumatic brain injury, such as a concussion. A bike crash might also lead to broken bones, internal injuries, abrasions or ligament damage. In some cases, the medical harm to a cyclist is immediately apparent, but in others, it might take a while for symptoms to present themselves. This is why you should get a complete medical evaluation and discuss your legal options with a qualified attorney before you agree to a settlement. We can explain what type of damages someone in your position could expect to cover their medical expenses, lost income, pain and suffering and diminished enjoyment of life.
Contact a bicycle accident lawyer serving Virginia and DC for a free consultation
Pikrallidas & Probasco handles personal injury litigation stemming from bicycle accidents and other incidents throughout Virginia and Washington, D.C. To make an appointment for a free initial consultation, please call 703-267-2600 or contact us online. We have offices in Fairfax, Manassas, Centreville and Front Royal. Hablamos español.